ROMEC is the triennial conference of ARMES.
The Roman Military Equipment Conference
Following a suggestion by the late Margaret Roxan, the first Roman Military Equipment Research Seminar was held in the Department of Ancient History and Classical Archaeology (now, sadly, defunct) at the University of Sheffield (GB) in 1983. It has since grown and the Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC), as it has become known, now visits various international venues, but still retains the same goals as that first seminar: to further the study of Roman military equipment with contributions from professional or amateur, academic or re-enactor, archaeologist or historian. It is open to all, the only limitation being one of numbers.
ROMERS I (=ROMEC I)
- Sheffield (GB), 21st March, 1983. Organised by M. C. Bishop. Published in M.C. Bishop (ed.), Roman Military Equipment. Proceedings of a Seminar held in the Department of Ancient History and Classical Archaeology at the University of Sheffield, 21st March 1983, Sheffield 1983. [PDF]
ROMERS II (=ROMEC II)
- Sheffield (GB), 1984. Organised by M. C. Bishop. Published in M.C. Bishop (ed.), The Production and Distribution of Roman Military Equipment. Proceedings of the Second Roman Military Equipment Research Seminar, BAR International Series 275, Oxford 1985. [PDFs]
ROMERS III (=ROMEC III)
- Nottingham (GB), 1985. Organised by M. Dawson. Published in M. Dawson (ed.), Roman Military Equipment: the Accoutrements of War. Proceedings of the Third Roman Military Equipment Research Seminar, BAR International Series 336, Oxford 1987. [PDFs]
- Newcastle upon Tyne (GB), 12th-13th April, 1986. Organised by J. C. Coulston. Published in J. C. Coulston (ed.), Military Equipment and the Identity of Roman Soldiers. Proceedings of the Fourth Roman Military Equipment Conference, BAR International Series 394, Oxford 1988. [PDFs]
- Nijmegen (NL), 1987. Organised by C. van Driel-Murray. Published in C. van Driel-Murray (ed.), Roman Military Equipment: the Sources of Evidence. Proceedings of the Fifth Roman Military Equipment Conference , BAR International Series 476, Oxford 1989. [PDFs]
- Bonn (D), 1988. Organised by M. Gechter. Papers published in JRMES 1 (1989)
- Magdalensburg (A), 24th-26th May, 1990. Organised by H.-J. Ubl. Papers not published.
- Newcastle upon Tyne (GB), 11th-12th April, 1992. Organised by L. Allason-Jones. Published in JRMES 3 (1992).
- Leiden (NL), 15th-17th September, 1994. Organised by C. van Driel-Murray. Published in JRMES 5 (1994) & JRMES 6 (1995), with some papers in JRMES 4 (1993).
- Montpellier (F), 26th-28th September, 1996. Organised by M. Feugère. Papers on the Republican theme published in JRMES 8 (1997), others in JRMES 7 (1996).
- Mainz (D), 10th-12th September, 1998. Organised by J. Oldenstein. Papers on the Late Roman theme published in JRMES 10 (1999), others in JRMES 9 (1998).
- South Shields (GB), 24th-26th September, 1999. Organised by W. B. Griffiths. Papers on the theme of reconstruction published in JRMES 11 (2000).
- Brugg (CH). 3rd-7th October, 2001. Organised by E. & S. Deschler-Erb. Papers on the theme of military equipment in civil contexts have been published in the Jahresbericht of the Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa for 2001.[PDFs] Other papers (and posters) appeared in JRMES 12/13 (2001/2).
- Wien (A), 27th-31st August 2003. Organised by S. Jilek. Papers on the theme of military equipment in battlefield contexts have been published in Carnuntum Jahrbuch for 2003.
- Budapest (HU), 1st–4th September 2005. Organised by L. Kocsis. Papers on the theme of the military equipment of the enemies of Rome have been published in JRMES 16 (2005).
- Xanten (DE), 13–16th June 2007. Organised by M. Müller and H.-J. Schalles. Papers published in Hans-Joachim Schalles and Alexandra W. Busch (eds) Waffen in Aktion. Akten des 16. Internationalen Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC), Xanten, 13.–16. Juni 2007, Mainz 2009 [PDF]
- Zagreb (HR), 24–27th May 2010. Organised by Prof. dr. sc. Mirjana Sanader and Ante Rendić-Miočević. Papers published in Sanader, M., Rendić-Miočević, M. A., Tončinić, D. and Radman-Livaja, I. (eds) 2013, XVII ROMEC Zagreb 2010 Radovi Proceedings Akten, Zagreb. [PDFs]
- Copenhagen (DK), 9–14th June 2013. Organised by Drs Thomas Grane and Xenia Pauli Jensen. Papers have been published in JRMES 17 in 2016.
- St Andrews (UK), 9–14th June 2016. Organised by Dr J C N Coulston with the theme of Cavalry in the Roman World. Theme papers have been published in JRMES 19 in 2018, other papers in JRMES 18 in 2017 and JRMES 20 in 2019.
Köln (DE), 11–15th June 2019. Organised by Prof Dr E Deschler-Erb with Drs P Henrich and S Hoss with the theme Weapons in Ritual Context. Theme papers have been published in Waffen im rituellen Kontext: Akten der 20. Internationalen Konferenz für Römische Militärausrüstung, Köln, 11.–15. Juni 2029 = Weapons in Ritual Context: Proceedings of the 20th Roman Military Equipment Conference, Cologne, June 11th–15th 2019 (JRMES 21) in 2020, other papers in JRMES 20 in 2019.
An announcement is pending on the venue and theme for ROMEC XXI.
The organisational structure of ROMEC is currently under review.